What is Seed Faith?
We can’t talk about growing & flourishing without emphasising the importance of planting and being at the start of the year it means we are in the season of planting.
There are some key points to note in the establishment of this fact:
- Sowing is a deliberate act.
- No farmer goes out to work on a farm, carries out some farming activities without planning and just by chance. It’s a deliberate act that requires forethought, it doesn’t happen by chance.
- If you want to flourish, you have got to take time to plant
- (1 Cor. 3:6-8 “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.”) There’s a reward for those who plant, but if you don’t plant you will receive no increase/reward/harvest
- Wisdom is essential when it comes to planting
- The element of timing in planting a seed is governed by wisdom
- Spiritually speaking, how do I know when to plant?
- By observation or experience – the first person who learnt about the timing of planting a particular thing must have learnt by observing the seasons and by trying it out.
- By the prompting of the Holy Spirit (Acts 16:6-7 “6 Now when they had gone through Phrygia and the region of Galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia. 7 After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them.”) There are times when the Holy Spirit will let you know exactly what and when to plant because He is the one most aware of the right time to plant. Just because you have what to give does not mean you have to give at that certain point in time.
- The presence of a need (Luke 16:19-21). There are times when God doesn’t just lead you to the farm, he actually brings the farm to you. God makes the opportunities to sow obvious to you. Every Lazarus lain at your gate is your opportunity to sow/plant. (Gal. 6:10 “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”)
- God is the giver
- God will either give a seed or He will give you what you need, but a seed for the future is embedded in that thing He’s given you already. There’s the opportunity for perpetuation in that thing that He’s already given you.
- God creates only once, whatever He has created already contains the provision for it to continue to recreate and perpetuate itself. (Gen 1:11 “Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb thatyields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so.”)
- This fact that everything God gives contains seed for its self-perpetuation should make you change the way you view each paycheque and learn to keep a portion of it away for planting.
- Isaiah 55:10 (“For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there, But water the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater”) The earth (the place you’re tilling, your business) responds to the character of the sower.